Synod of the Family Questionnaire
Many people recognise the social and spiritual crisis that has evolved in our world today. It has become increasingly difficult for the Church to communicate its message about the nature of, and hope for family life.
Pope Francis has called a Synod (assembly) of Bishops in 2014 to help better communicate the Christian understanding of the family and its value in society in a convincing manner.
YOU are being asked to make your contribution to this important reflection on the family by answering a questionnaire on the subject. It addresses various important issues including:
- Is the Catholic Church’s teachings on the value of the family understood by people today? Is it accepted fully or are there difficulties putting it into practice? What Church teaching is presented on the understanding of the family?
- Natural law is understood as the ability of human beings to discern the difference between good and evil by the power of reason. What place does this idea have among people generally? What ideas about human nature are behind the discussion on the natural basis of the family?
- In the current crisis, how have Christian families been able to carry out their vocation of passing on the faith? In what way have local Churches and movements on family spirituality been able to create ways of acting which can set examples for us?
- Since many children and young people no longer see their parents receive the sacraments, how can the Church provide a Christian education for them?
- What questions do divorced and remarried people pose the Church concerning the Sacraments of the Eucharist and of Reconciliation? Among those who find themselves in these situations, how many ask for these Sacraments?
- What pastoral attention can be given to people who have chosen to live in same sex relationships?
A simplified version can be downloaded from Association of Catholic Priests Website (http://www.associationofcatholicpriests.ie)..
Completed questionnaires can be returned to the Parish Office or sent to:
Office of Evangelisation,
Dublin Diocesan Centre,
Envelopes should be clearly marked “Pastoral Challenges of the Family”.
The complete questionnaire is available online at:
For those who have no internet access, there are copies of the questionnaire available in the parish office.